NEWSFLASH: fabric is 13 (19th - 22nd October)
On the weekend of 19th October 2012, fabric officially turns thirteen. Rather than shying away from the fact that there are certain triskaidekaphobic people out there who go the extra mile to avoid anything that involves the number that’s one more than a dozen; we’re celebrating the fact that we’ve officially entered into puberty, by programming a suitably special line up for the Friday and by opening our doors for another 32 hour marathon on the Saturday to house sets from our residents Craig Richards and Terry Francis alongside a slew of impeccable special guests, many of whom will be playing multiple or extended sets.
We realise we're in something of a minority in looking forward to our 13th anniversary but there’s no real concrete proof where the superstition arose around 13’s defamatory level of unexplained unluck. Most evidence points to the Bible and the prevalence of 13 people at the Last Supper, where Judas betrayed Jesus, but even before that, 13 had a deeply spiritual linking in some cultures considering that it was the number of months in the lunar cycle, a calendar that some religions still adhere to today. If you really try and read up further on it, you'll find that 13 is also the requisite number of witches required for a Sabbath (a witches’ meeting); it's the exact number of letters needed to spell Jack The Ripper, Charles Manson or Saddam Hussein and on the 13th day of the month, a 13 year old boy at Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival in Suffolk was struck by lightning (though believing the reports that he was treated by paramedics at 13:13pm might be something of a stretch). It is also the calendar day that the fated Apollo 13 mission experienced an explosion in one of its oxygen tanks, but that did give us a film with starring turns from Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon and Gary Sinise.
In an attempt to buck the trend, here are 13 reasons why our 13th year won’t be plagued by such cautious superstition (touch wood):
1. Our residents: Craig Richards & Terry Francis.
2. The continual high performance of our exceptionally talented sound & light team.
3. 10 years of Ricardo Villalobos playing here at fabric this November.
4. Our new record label.
5. Andy C's 6 hour set followed by his label RAM's 20th Birthday.
6. The return of Loco Dice (after 5 years away).
7. Our (fully functioning) air conditioning system.
8. The release of Daniel Avery's FABRICLIVE66 this November.
9. 10 years of Get Physical in Room One on November 3rd.
10. The array of fancy dress we’ve got coming for our birthday celebration.
11. Zip’s forthcoming fabric 67 CD.
12. The ridiculously high standard of commitment from our staff members, old and new.
13. The 32 hour non-stop party we’re throwing to kick it all off.
LINEUP & INFO:
fabric 13th Birthday
Friday 19th October 2012
Doors: 10pm – 6am
Prices: Price: £18 advance/£19 door/£13 student (before 12am)/£12 fabricfirst; £7 after 3am
Joker, Jackmaster B2B Oneman, Artwork, Javeon McCarthy
Pinch, Digital Mystikz, Vivek, Kryptic Minds, Decibel
MCs: Chunky, Crazy D
Krystal Klear, Illum Sphere, Jonny Dub, Jon K, Eclair Fifi
MCs: Chunky & Fox
Saturday 20th October 2012
Doors: 11pm (for 32 hours)
£25 weekend tickets/£20 student & fabricfirst members (price includes wristband for re-entry)
£20 Sunday tickets (valid from Sun 10am)/£15 student & fabricfirst members
Craig Richards & Terry Francis + many more to be announced.