At home Dettmann had already started collecting records himself, going so far as to import and sell them himself from the comfort of his bedroom, making up for a lack of a record store in his home town. It's a period that clearly still holds a lot of inspiration for him considering that it laid the weighty foundations that went to lead to him setting up in Berlin itself where he began work at the iconic Hardwax record store and build his DJ residency at Berghain. This period in the '90s is also the topic that he's chosen to explore in our latest Crate Diggin' feature as we look forward to his next session in Room Two on 15th August.
This is my personal 1990s "Berlin club" selection as these tracks have all strongly influenced me as a DJ and producer. I still remember each of the days I bought every one of these records; this was a time when I couldn't wait to play the music at the club. Most of these tracks are still only available on vinyl which is the only medium that I'm really interested in, every record in my collection can tell its own story..."
1. 3 Phase Featuring Dr. Motte – Der Klang Der Familie [Tresor - 06]
2. Rok / Jonzon - Sequential Polka [Gigolo - 03]
3. Basic Channel – Phylyps Trak [Basic Channel - 02]
4. Vainqueur – Lyot (Maurizio Mix) [Maurizio - 02]
5. Traktor - Traktor Mood [Traktor]
6. Scion – Emerge [Chain Reaction - 01]
7. Erik & Fiedel - Donna [MMM - 02]
8. Sound Hack - B2 [Sound Hack - 01]
9. Beroshima - Electronic Discussion [Müller - 01]
10. Hecate & Kareem – The Payback A1 [Zhark - 01]