The career of Anthony Rother began at the end of the eighties with the release of "The Rattlesnake" and "The End", both tracks which were strongly influenced by the spherical sound collage of film director and composer John Carpenter. Over the last 20 years, Anthony Rother has been continually at the forefront of electronic music, for its every movement and modulation. Have a look at his comprehensive website to see just how big of a footprint he's made on the vast landscape of electronica - from the most exacting techno to scorching electro.
A much celebrated aspect of Rother’s career are his electric live performances, playing keyboards and synthesizers, live singing and real time arrangement. It's a world away from a DJ just stood in front of his decks, or crouched in front of a laptop - Rother conjures up the lost art of performance, utilising a spectacular and sensory show that truly brings his tracks to life.
With his much anticipated live set at fabric fast approaching (a little over 24 hours from now in Room Two, to be exact), we caught up with Rother and decided to do a HIGH FIVE (that's right, 5 'High Fidelity' lists crammed into one glowing post - 5 x 5). Hold on tight to your hats, people.
TOP 5 records that never leave your crate:
• JOY DIVISION - TRANSMISSION
• DAVID BOWIE - SPACE ODDITY
• KRAFTWERK - ELECTRIC CAFE (ALBUM)
• JEAN-MICHAEL JARRE - OXYGENE PART II
• UNDERGROUND RESISTANCE - INTERSTELLAR FUGITIVES (ALBUM)
TOP 5 things you would never leave the house without:
• PICTURE OF MY WHOLE FAMILY
• MY CREATIVE BOOK
• WEARING UNDERWEAR ;)
• MY iPOD
• MY LAPTOP
TOP 5 inspirational moments in regards to producing music:
• DRIVING IN MY CAR
• DAY DREAMING NO MATTER WHERE I AM
• IN THE PLANE
• IN MY STUDIO BY NIGHT
• WHEN TOUCHING AN ANALOG SYNTHESIZER
TOP 5 tips you’d give to budding DJ’s and producers hoping to make it in the music industry:
• NEVER LISTEN TO MOST PEOPLES OPINION
• SLEEP WHENEVER YOU WANT
• MAKE MUSIC WHENEVER YOU WANT
• LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING
• MOST THINGS ARE AN ILLUSION
TOP 5 ways to spend your days off around Hessen, Germany.
• STAYING IN BED AT THE WEEKEND ;)
• VISITING MY FAVOURITE MUSIC STORE
• SHOOTING PHOTOS BY NIGHT
• HANGING OUT WITH FRIENDS
• DISCOVERING THE CITY