"It’s in Room Three that we effectively wrote Superstylin’, or at least the idea for that track took serious shape. They were magical times, really. It’s been amazing returning to the club, a sense of coming home. A lot of the people involved when we first played there are still involved, so it felt easy to come back, it’s an overused description but fabric is family." - Groove Armada
FABRICLIVE 87 represents the kind of house music - and importantly party music - that Groove Armada might drop in a typical Room One set, on a night where the vibes of the dancefloor align perfectly with the music of the DJ. The mix opens with a strong salvo of contemporary house, creating an uplifting mood from the outset with productions from The Revenge and Move D, before bedding in with groove-heavy cuts from the likes of Reset Robot, Nicole Moudaber and Hexxy, the latest project of Hercules & Love Affair’s Andy Butler. Showcasing tracks on their favourite UK labels, such as Freerange and Saved, the duo punctuate the mix throughout with the classic US house sound of Strictly Rhythm and KMS, rekindling memories of their musical initiations and paying respect to artists they’ve followed throughout their careers. A brief deviation into the electro-inspired rhythms of Chicken Lips and Brassfoot opens into an ecstatic closing sequence, featuring Bicep, Rick (Poppa) Howard and their own 2012 Hypercolour cut ‘Stevie Latenight’, as befitting for a sunrise on the South Downs as for the lights coming up in Room One, and leaving the listener thirsting for more after seventy minutes of kinetic beats, rhythms and grooves.
"The mix happened between a Stoke Newington basement and a disused barn near Toulouse. As always for mixes, the preparation was thorough. That’s a leftover from the era of the mix tape. Mix tapes were the stuff of life, a currency for getting gigs, girlfriends, or just distributing amongst mates for the love of it. But once you pressed record, everything had to be bang on for 45 minutes. There was no take two, no FX, no computer touch up. The flow and tuning of the tracks had to be right. But once you’ve done your homework, there comes the moment when the lights go off, the volume goes up and you do it for real. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but it has to be human and have a vibe." - Groove Armada
01. Craig Smith & The Revenge - The Soul Part II [Delusions Of Grandeur]
02. Flashmob - Don’t Leave (Instrumental Dub) [Flashmob]
03. Kolja Gerstenberg - Sand (Move D Remix) [Smile For A While]
04. Reset Robot - On Your Knees [Danse Club]
05. Essence - Moments In House (Full Effect Mix - DJ T. Edit) [Strictly Rhythm]
06. Doc Daneeka - One For Pidge [2020 Vision]
07. Hexxy - Edging [Mr. Intl]
08. Julien Sandre & Los Pastores - One More Time (Onno Remix) [Roush]
09. Chez Damier - Untitled A1 [KMS]
10. Burnski - Your Love (Steve O’Sullivan Remix) [Constant Sound]
11. The Revenge - Incredible Shellsuit [Roar Groove]
12. Nicole Moudaber - Can I Get Some [Drumcode]
13. Tiga - Plush (Dixon Re-Rub) [Different]
14. The Black 80s - Move On (Hollis P Monroe & Wrong Jeremy Mix) [Freerange]
15. Josh Wink - 516 Acid (Chicken Lips Acido Ze Boogie Mix) [Ovum]
16. Brassfoot - We Made It Out The Hood Ma [UTTU]
17. Skudge - Convolution [Skudge]
18. Anek & Medeew & Chicks Luv Us - Shake [Get Physical]
19. Ross Evans - Let it Go [Saved]
20. Pezzner - Prey (Fred Everything Re-Beat) [Systematic]
21. Digitaria feat. Clarian - Favourite Addiction (Groove Armada’s Dub Creation) [Hot Creations]
+ Acid Mondays - Interstellar Cake (Richy Ahmed Remix) [Circus]
22. Aster - Cielo (Bicep Remix II) [Hivern Discs]
23. Rick (Poppa) Howard - Can Your Love Find Its Way [Beautiful Granville]
24. Groove Armada - Stevie Latenight [Hypercolour]
25. Moon B - Starfight [People’s Potential Unlimited]
26. Khan - On The Run (DJ Kaos &Me Remix) [I’m Single]
FABRICLIVE 87: Groove Armada will be released on 20th May 2016.
Pre-order your copy here.
Groove Armada will launch the mix in Room One on 27th May.
Full details here.
Photography: Jimmy Mould