Since first playing at the club almost a decade ago, Chris Davids and Liam Ivory of Maribou State have ascended as one of electronica’s most vital acts, with two critically acclaimed albums, alongside recent sell-out tours across UK, USA and Europe on the back of 2018’s full-length Kingdoms In Colour.
But they never forgot their roots. From their teenage years they frequented fabric, taking the train down from their homes in Hertfordshire to attend DJ Hype’s legendary Playaz nights, experiences that would lay the musical foundations for years to follow.
“fabric was a hugely influential milestone for us, being the first nightclub we used to attend regularly. It gave us an early insight into club culture and played a massive part in shaping our relationship with electronic music today.”
Their contribution to the fabric cannon sees them re-trace this trip in sonic form, quite literally re-enacting the journey to the club and imagining a night out raving and all the stages it entails.
“In this mix we wanted to create a world of music that in its entirety you wouldn’t expect to hear within the walls of fabric, but would reflect the hours spent before heading to the club; drinks at a friend’s house, the journey into London, travelling on the underground and the anticipation in the build-up beforehand. We captured and used a bunch of field recordings of us re-taking the journey to and from the club to help this narrative.”
The finished work is vibrant, thoughtful and unforgettable. It traverses soul, disco, jazz and funk, before the duo up-the-tempo to bumpier house grooves, tinges of jungle, and their own sublimely crafted electronica.
The highlight-heavy compilation includes two brand new Maribou State productions, Mother and Strange Habits feat. Yussef Dayes, alongside a delicate and uplifting re-work of Radiohead’s Reckoner, all of which are exclusive to fabric presents. A beautiful collaboration with Pedestrian under the North Downs moniker is also weaved into the final work.
2. Stelvio Cipriani – Mary’s Theme
3. Nick Hakim – Cuffed
4. North Downs – Settle Down
5. Art Feynman – Slow Down
6. Kutiman – Line 5
7. Risco Connection – Ain't No Stopping Us Now
8. Supersempfft – I See Stars
9. Kiki Gyan – Disco Dancer
10. Nu Guinea – Je Vulesse
11. Oriyin – Roll The Dice
12. Botany – Wednesday Night Oct 28 2015
13. Ekkehard Ehlers – Play John Cassavetes 2
14. jitwam – desires
15. Julien Dyne – Hours feat. Ladi6
16. Long Island Sound – I Still Love You
17. Shire Tea – Hackney Birdwatch
18. Maribou State – Mother
19. Radiohead – Reckoner (Maribou State Remix)
20. Maribou State – Strange Habits feat. Yussef Dayes
21. Shire Tea – Gentlemen’s Whistle Club
22. Hailu Mergia – Yefikir Engurguro
1. Stelvio Cipriani – Mary’s Theme
2. North Downs – Settle Down
3. Art Feynman – Slow Down
4. Kutiman – Line 5
5. Supersempfft – I See Stars
6. Nu Guinea – Je Vulesse
7. jitwam – desires
8. Julien Dyne – Hours feat. Ladi6
9. Long Island Sound – I Still Love You
10. Maribou State – Mother
11. Radiohead – Reckoner (Maribou State Remix)
12. Maribou State – Strange Habits feat. Yussef Dayes
13. Shire Tea – Gentlemen’s Whistle Club
14. Hailu Mergia – Yefikir Engurguro
fabric presents Maribou State will be released on CD, digital and vinyl on Friday 27th March.
Order your copy here.
Maribou State launch the compilation in Farringdon on Sunday 29th March.
Tickets are available here.